After the crazy roaring 20’s and the stock market crash of 1929, the 30’s were all about gangsters (Al Capone), gambling, bootlegging and cocktails! In his first 100 days in office, Roosevelt launches the New Deal including dozens of federal programs to help agriculture. FDR calls for social security, a more fair tax system and a host of federal jobs programs to get people back to work. It was the era of soup kitchens and penny restaurants with a menu of Sliced Sweet and Sour Tongue, Potato Pudding, Vegetable Plate: Cauliflower, Beets, Green Beans, Buffet Salad Plate, Rye Bread or Crusty Rolls, Fruit Plate, Nut Overnight Cookies, Coffee or Tea.
Here is a very traditional 1930’s cocktail that was consumed at speakeasys! Cheers!
1 measure cointreau
1 measure brandy/cognac
1 measure lemon juice
Shake with ice and strain into sugar-rimmed cocktail (martini) glass and garnish with a strip of lemon rind.
The top 20 songs of the 1930’s.
1. In The Mood - Glenn Miller
2. God Bless America - Kate Smith
3. Over The Rainbow - Judy Garland / Glenn Miller
4. Sing, Sing, Sing (With A Swing) - Benny Goodman
5. Silent Night, Holy Night - Bing Crosby
6. Minnie The Moocher - Cab Calloway
7. Strange Fruit - Billie Holiday
8. Crossroads Blues - Robert Johnson
9. Moonlight Serenade - Glenn Miller
10. If I Didn’t Care - Ink Spots
11. Mood Indigo - Duke Ellington
12. One O’Clock Jump - Count Basie / Benny Goodman / Harry James
13. Wabash Cannon Ball - Roy Acuff
14. Can The Circle Be Unbroken (Bye And Bye) - Carter Family
15. Stormy Weather - Ethel Waters / Leo Reisman (Harold Arlen)
16. Body And Soul - Coleman Hawkins / Paul Whiteman / Libby Holman
17. I’m In The Mood For Love - Louis Armstrong / Little Jack Little
18. Begin The Beguine - Artie Shaw
19. I Can’t Get Started - Bunny Berigan
20. A Tisket, A Tasket - Ella Fitzgerald with Chick Webb’s Orchestra
Gwen Kenneally is the owner of Back to the Kitchen, Full Service Catering and Party Planning. She is the co-founder and master baker at Magpie Gourmet Mini Pies. Check out her websites www.Backtothekitchen.net and http://magpieminipie.vpweb.com. Her Sweet and Savory Cookbook is available through AMAZON .